EarthX, Inc. is a US company based in Colorado. The company was founded by an electrical engineer and a mechanical engineer who are passionate about riding and wanted a better alternative than the 160+ year old lead acid technology. The desire to remove weight was also very important and after years of research and development, EarthX launched a full line of lithium batteries for all your power sport needs. We are proud to be an American company with a mission to have the highest quality and best performing lithium battery in the world!
EarthX batteries are designed to be a replacement of a standard 12 volt lead-acid battery, but their nominal voltage is 13.3V so it will spin your engine faster than you would ever believe possible! Our batteries will work with any vehicle charging system that regulates the voltage between 13.5V and 14.6V, which is standard in all modern vehicles from motorcycles to aircrafts. And our batteries are an exceptional value given the fact they last years longer than a lead-acid battery if maintained properly.
There is a lot of talk about lithium batteries these days, but not all lithium batteries are equal. There are dozens of different types of chemistry used in lithium batteries. The EarthX batteries use cells made of Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) chemistry that was developed in the U.S.A. This chemistry is the highest performance, most robust and the safest on the market today.
Lithium batteries are fundamentally different than lead-acid batteries. The lithium cells inside the battery need electronics to monitor and balance the voltage/charge of the individual cells. Other companies sell a balancing charger, which you have to plugin periodically to “top off” and balance the cells. Inside every one of the ETX series batteries is a microprocessor Battery Management System (BMS) that monitors the charge level of each cell and balances the charge when needed, protecting the cells from overcharge or over-discharge. What this means for you is more starting power, longer battery life, and the safest lithium motorsport battery on the market. All types of lithium batteries (not just ours) require a “BMS” that monitors and balances the cell charge and protect from over discharge or over charge.
BATTERY CHART (PLEASE CHECK IF YOUR OEM BATTERY IS LISTED THEN PICK CORRECT EARTHX BATTERY FROM THE DROP MENU) If your battery is not listed just send us an email with your bike make, model,& year and we will get you the correct battery info.
ETX12A, REPLACES THESE BATTERIES: YTX4L-BS, YB4L-B, 12N5-3B, YTZ5S, YT5A, YTX5L-BS, YT6A, YT7B-BS, YTX5L-BS, YTZ7S,YTX7L-BS, YB9A-A, YB7L-B, YB7-A, YTX7A-BS, YT7B-BS, YB9-B, YT9B-BS, YB9L-A2, YB10L-B2, YB-10A-A2.
ETX18B, REPLACES THESE BATTERIES: YB12A-A, YT12B-BS, YT14B-BS, YTX14AHL-BS, YTX14AH-BS, YB14-B2, SYB14L, YB12AL-A2, YB16AL-A2
ETX18C REPLACES THESE BATTERIES: YTX12-BS, YTZ12S, YTX14-BS, YTX14L-BS, YTZ14S, KMX14-BS, YTX15L-BS, YTX16-BS(1), YB16B-A
ETX18F REPLACES THESE BATTERIES: YTX9-BS, YTZ10S, YT12A-BS
ETX24C REPLACES THESE BATTERIES: YTX14H-BS, YTX20CH, GYZ16H, UPGRADE FOR ETX18C
ETX24D REPLACES THESE BATTERIES: YTX20-BS, YTX20L-BS, Y50-N18L-A(CX), YB16-B, YB16CL-B, YB18-A, GYZ20L
ETX36C : Upgrade for ETX18C or ETX24C, Snowmobiles
ETX36D REPLACES THES BATTERIES: YTX20H-BS, YTX20HL-BS, YTX24HL-BS, GYZ20HL, UB12350, Snowmobiles, UPGRADE FOR ETX24D
ETX36E REPLACES THESE BATTERIES: 51913, 51814, YIX30L-BS, YB30L-BS, YB30L-B, Y60-N24AL-B
ETZ5G* REPLACES THESE BATTERIES: YTX4L-BS, YB4L-B, 12N5-3B, YTZ5S, YT5A, YTX5L-BS, YT6A, YT7B-BS, YTX5L-BS, YTZ7S,YTX7L-BS, YB9A-A, YB7L-B, YB7-A, YTX7A-BS, YT7B-BS, YB9-B, YT9B-BS, YB9L-A2, YB10L-B2, YB-10A-A2. (1 YEAR WARRANTY ON THE ETZ5G)
The key advantages of an EarthX lithium battery over a lead acid batteries are;
- Light-weight — 70-80% less weight
- Long Service Life — Up to 4000 charge / discharge cycles (~3-8 years), over 4 times the life of a lead-acid battery
- Longer Storage Life – due to extremely low self-discharge rate, no need for charging in the off-season
- Environmentally Friendly — non-toxic, non-contaminating, lead free and no hazardous materials
- Wide Operating Temperature Range (-30 C–+60C) — lithium batteries are dry cell technology and will not freeze
- Fast Charge — can be fully charged in less than a half hour
- Maintenance Free
- No Special Mounting Direction
- Safety and Reliability — internal cells are continually monitored by an integrated battery management system
The key advantages of Earthx lithium batteries over competitors lithium batteries;
- Safety, performance and longevity are very important in the design of the EarthX battery and is the leader in the lithium market with the only battery management system included inside every ETX battery to protect from over discharge, over charge, cell balancing, short circuit and excessive cranking protection.
- All our products are engineered in the USA
- We use American battery technology, the most advanced lithium battery technology in the world
- Our batteries are assembled, engineered and designed in the USA using US and foreign components.
- No expensive balancing charger needed.
- Flexible battery connection — our batteries can be used in either left or right side polarity applications. You also have the option to connect the battery leads directly to your vehicle.
- Quality – We test all our batteries to industry standards (SAE, UL, CE).
EarthX batteries can sit on the shelf for up to a year without the need to charge it due to the low self discharge rate which is about 2% a month, compared to a lead acid battery which is approximately 30% per month. (If you have the battery in a vehicle that has a constant draw, such as a Harley, and you don’t ride for a month, you will need to put the battery on a charger). After a long time of no use, it is wise to check the voltage and if it is less than 13.28V, you should charge it before start attempt.
In the event you have to charge the battery, use a Lithium (LiFePO4) battery charger or a lead-acid battery charger that does not charge above 14.6V, will automatically turns off when the battery is fully charged (based on volts) and does not have a de-sulfate mode. Do not use any charger with voltage that pulses above 15V! This will damage the battery. If in doubt, consult the manual that comes with your charger.
For chargers with a maintenance mode, the maintenance mode voltage should be 13.3V – 13.9V. For example, the Battery Tender JR has a maintenance mode voltage of 13.3V which is compatible, whereas the original Battery Tender or Battery Tender Plus has a maintenance mode voltage of 13.2V which is too low for a lithium battery. Please read the manual that comes with your charger.
EarthX Lithium batteries have an internal Battery Management System (BMS) to disconnect the battery from the load (your vehicle) if the battery is drained too low. When the battery is “disconnected”, there is no voltage at the battery terminal. Note, some volt-meters may read a small voltage. The EarthX over-discharge protection circuit is automatically reset when a charging current/voltage is present at the battery terminals (referred to as BMS Reset).
If your battery reads near 0 volts, the over-discharge feature has been activated, thus your battery must be charged. If you left your lights on, key on, have a faulty stator, or have a parasitic drain this can easily happen. Our BMS is designed to disconnect the flow of current in the event of over-discharge (internal disconnect switch is opened). Many smart chargers will not attempt to charge a low voltage battery (below 9V). If this happens, there are several ways to charge the battery.
- The easiest way is if you have a charger such as the Optimate lithium charger or one that will engage even if the battery is in this protection mode. Simply connect the alligator clips first, plug in the charger next, and the save mode will come on and start charging it.
- Another method is to connect your charger to the EarthX battery as normal, then put either a jump pack or another 12V charged battery in parallel with the EarthX battery so the charger will read it’s voltage and engage. Once the charger sees voltage it begins to charge as normal. After 5-20 seconds you can remove the jump pack or jumper cables (being careful not to disconnect the charger). Recharging this battery from the depleted state can take from a couple hours to overnight.